August 26, 2010

For My Friend Brendan

Recently I signed up to do a cupcake fund raiser for a dear friend at work so I had been trying recipes out on my co-workers. The day I brought in the Vegan Coconut Lime cupcakes I had many brave souls timidly try them and then walk away smiling and saying yum all the way back to their desks. One particular co-worker and fellow foodie friend Brendan even came back and said he liked them better than "regular" cupcakes and would love to see a vegan version of Carrot Cake. Well, here you go Brendan! Enjoy!

For cupcakes:
2/3 cup all purpose flour
3/4 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp ginger
2/3 cup sugar
1/3 cup vegetable oil
1/3 cup plain or vanilla soy yogurt
1 tsp vanilla
1 cup finely grated carrots
1/4 cup chopped walnuts
1/4 cup raisins (golden raisins work nicely)

Preheat oven to 350 F. Line muffin tin with paper liners.

  1. In medium bowl, mix together sugar, vegetable oil, yogurt and vanilla. Sift in the dry ingredients - flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt and spices - mix until smooth.
  2. Fold in carrots, walnuts and raisins.
  3. Spray your cupcake liners with non-stick baking spray.
  4. Fill the liners 2/3 full and bake for 26 to 28 minutes, until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
  5. Let cool completely before icing.
For vegan cream cheese icing:
1/4 cup nonhydrogenated margarine, softened
1/4 cup vegan cream cheese (such as Toffuti), softened
2 cups confectioners sugar
1 tsp vanilla
  1. Cream together margarine and cream cheese just until combined.
  2. Use handheld mixer to whip while adding confectioners sugar in 1/2 cup incriments. Mix until smooth and creamy.
  3. Mix in vanilla.
  4. Tightly cover and refrigerate until ready to use.
Note: You may use additional chopped walnuts and/or raisins to garnish.

Recipe makes 12 cupcakes

Happy baking!

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
I learned to cook mostly from my Mother but my German Grandmother had a big hand in my baking skills. I am a full time Nursing student and I work full time as well. That doesn't leave much free time generally but I make the most of it. I am the proud owner of two adorable Boston Terriers - Zoe and Radar. They keep me on my toes.