August 28, 2010

New Twist on an Old Favorite

Growing up Beef Stroganoff was my favorite. My mom always made it for me for my birthday or special occasions. Although I loved it and still do it always felt heavy and I would be uncomfortably stuffed after eating. So recently when I was craving my favorite comfort food I decided I wanted to try a different twist on it to see if I could make it a little lighter. What follows is the recipe I came up with.

Turkey Stroganoff

1 lb. ground turkey or ground chicken if you prefer
1 small onion diced
2 tbs margarine or butter (low fat versions are better)
1 10 3/4 oz can of your favorite cream soup (chicken or mushroom)
8 to 12 oz low fat or no fat sour cream
2 to 4 tbs milk (depending on how thin or thick you like your sauce)
1 pkg wide egg or homestyle noodles
Salt and pepper to taste

  1. Put the water on to boil for your noodles according to the directions on the package.
  2. Melt butter/margarine and add onion. Cook for 3 to 5 minutes just log enough to soften.
  3. Add turkey and cook thoroughly on medium until there is no longer any pink.
  4. Once the turkey is completely cooked through lower the heat and add the soup. Stir well to combine.
  5. Stir in sour cream starting with just 8 oz. and 2 tbs of milk. If you prefer your sauce a little thinner add remaining ingredients. Add salt and pepper to taste.
Recipe serves 6

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
I learned to cook mostly from my Mother but my German Grandmother had a big hand in my baking skills. I am a full time Nursing student and I work full time as well. That doesn't leave much free time generally but I make the most of it. I am the proud owner of two adorable Boston Terriers - Zoe and Radar. They keep me on my toes.