September 14, 2010

Ode to Summer . . .

Summer to me means warm weather, cool homemade lemonade, and SMORES! What better way to celebrate a great summer than making Smores cupcakes. This was my first attempt at this recipe and they are sinfully good! I hope you enjoy them as much as I did.

Cupcakes:

2 cups sugar
1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
3/4 cup HERSHEY'S Dark Chocolate Cocoa powder or I prefer Sharffen Berger's
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1 1/2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt
2 eggs
1 cup milk
1/2 cup vegetable oil
2 tsp vanilla extract
1 cup boiling water
1/2 cup crushed graham crackers

Heat oven to 350°F. Line muffin cups with paper baking cups. 
  • Stir together sugar, flour, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda and salt in large bowl
  • Add eggs, milk, oil and vanilla; beat on medium speed of mixer 2 minutes
  • Stir in boiling water (batter will be thin)
  • Sprinkle crushed graham cracker into the bottom of each of the lined muffin cups
  • Fill cups 2/3 full with batter
  • Bake 22 to 25 minutes
  • Cool completely on wire rack before frosting.
Makes 30 cupcakes

Marshmallow Buttercream Icing:
1 cup butter, softened
1 7-oz jar Marshmallow Fluff
1 cup powdered sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract
  • In a large bowl, combine butter and Marshmallow Fluff. Beat until smooth and creamy.
  • Reduce speed and slowly add powdered sugar and vanilla extract. Beat the mixture until soft and fluffy.
Notes:
Garnish cupcakes with broken pieces of graham cracker and bite size chocolate pieces

Happy Baking!

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
I learned to cook mostly from my Mother but my German Grandmother had a big hand in my baking skills. I am a full time Nursing student and I work full time as well. That doesn't leave much free time generally but I make the most of it. I am the proud owner of two adorable Boston Terriers - Zoe and Radar. They keep me on my toes.